THIS WEBSITE IS A PUBLICATION OF STICHTING DE TRADITIE

NLUK

Stichting De Traditie  -

 Cultural Heritage



Disclaimer & Copyright notice    Home    Board Objectives       Collection       MUSEUM-EXPO     SDT Publications     Glossary    Funding  












Utrecht - Science

Comparative Physiology - Laboratoria           








 
1913 ZOOLOGICAL LABORATORY - JANSKERKHOF UTRECHT


Zool. Lab.
In 1913, the comparative physiologist H.J.Jordan was appointed to the zoological laboratory at Utrecht to teach in animal physiology. Jordan marks the beginning of Comparative Physiology in the Netherlands. Not too early, when one considers that the Law on Higher Education of 1876 already demanded that PhD-candidates were also be trained in animal physiology.
Source: Visser-RPW 1984. De Utrechtse zo÷logie rond 1900: van morfologie naar vergelijkende fysiologie. Tsch. Gesch. Gnk. Natuurw. Wisk. Techn. 7(1), 49-59.
  • Image left: The Zoological Laboratory, before Statenkamer, former monastery of the Minderbroeders, Janskerkhof 3, Utrecht. Constructed in the 16th century. National monument nr 36154.







  • 1935 LABORATORY OF COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY


    Rockefeller Lab.
    In 1935, Jordan gained a new laboratory with the help of the Rockefeller Foundation ($ 101,000) and the Dutch Government. A gem of a laboratory, with a left wing for chemical physiology, and a right wing for physical physiology. In the middle a lecture room with library. The address of Galenstraat Jan 40, Utrecht, became an international understanding. In 1989, the laboratory was demolished to make place for housing. The new location was the University Center 'De Uithof'.
  • Image left: Laboratory of Comparative Physiology (Collection Stichting De Traditie).
    Sources: Rockefeller Annual Report 1933 pp 220, 221, and 226.
    Fisher-Zaccagnini-R 2009. G.C.Bremer, Rijksbouwmeester, Stichting Bonas - Rotterdam, p 161 ff..







  • 1989 TRANSITORIUM 3 - H.R. KRUYT BUILDING - UNIVERSITY CENTER  'DE UITHOF'

    Transitorium 3
    The laboratory at the Jan van Galenstraat was relocated to the University Centre 'De Uithof' in two phases. The chemical wing moved in 1975 to Transitorium 3, now H.R.Kruyt building; a building designed for chemical research. The animal department, consisting of groups doing sensory, nerve, muscle, brain and behavior research, was distributed over 5 different locations in the University Center 'De Uithof' in 1989.
  • Image left: Transitorium 3 (photograph Wim Uilenbroek).